Thursday, November 5, 2009

Day #4--Taking off the Headphones

A couple weeks ago I was doing one of my most favorite things to do in terms of winding down after a long day. I was watching a football game on TV! I know this sounds lame, but sometimes after studying all day, I just need an hour or two, (or three) to do something to give my brain a rest. Anyway, during a commercial break I yelled back to my wife who was down the hall in our bedroom doing something. The first time was a nice, polite raised voice "Dear!" No response. Figuring she hadn't heard me because of the TV, I put it on mute and a little louder, yet still polite mind you, I said "Dear!!" Still nothing. Getting a little frustrated, though not frustrated enough to get my fat butt of the couch, I yelled semi-nicely a little louder, "Hey Dear!!!" And...NOTHING!! By this time I was completely upset and yelled loudly "MEREDITH!!" And again I get no response. So finally pulling myself off the couch I get up and walk back to the room and what do I find? My wife, but she has a computer on her lap and headphones in her ears. She was apparently watching "Smallville" and had not heard a word I was saying. So of course my frustration turned into me making fun of her for watching "Smallville." However, that is not the lesson that I took away from that experience.

I honestly do not remember what I asked Mere, the only thing I remember is that it got me to thinking about how God communicates with me. Was he yelling at me and I had "headphones" on? When I read the Scriptures I see a constant reminder of God's concern for the poor, oppressed, and the outcast. Then I think about my day and wonder if I ever came across anyone in need and didn't see or hear them because I had "headphones" on. In other words was I so consumed with the chores I had to do, the things I had to get done that I was oblivious to anyone hurting. Even worse, did I see and consciously make a decision that my "to-do" list was a justified reason for passing by on the other side of the street.

As I have said before I am studying the parable of the Good Samaritan this week and as I study it I have found that the priest and Levite priest who passed by on the side of the road really did have "good" excuses. The first priest had just come from the Temple in Jerusalem and was considered clean. Had he got within 4 cubits (6 feet) of the man on the side of the road he would have been considered unclean and would have to have gone back, purchased a heifer and started the cleansing process all over again. He would have had to spend more money, and further he would have had to spend more time away from his family whom he was responsible for at the time. The Levite priest basically saw (the road was a road that descended for seventeen miles, so visibility 3-4 miles up the road would have been a possibility) the first priest pass by and most likely thought to himself "well that priest didn't help him and he had for more resources than I," hat can I do if he did not do anything? And so we see that both of these men had very logical excuses. Perhaps even ones we have used (time, money, family).

Now we know the rest of the story, the Samaritan shows mercy on the man. Actually putting himself at risk by caring for this person who has been beaten and left for dead.

As much as I pray to become more like the Samaritan, I actually find myself identifying more with the lawyer who tried to justify himself. He was not really interested in helping, rather he was interested in being praised for what he had already done. In reality, he was loving people that he would have loved had Jesus not come to Earth. As I reflect on my life and where I am in the journey I have to confess that I am that lawyer that Jesus confronts with the parable of the Good Samaritan. My prayer is that I would be changed into the Samaritan. That I would be changed so that I might act like a neighbor to all I come in contact with. And most of all I pray that I would take off the "headphones" of me, myself and I. Take off the "headphones" of all the things I think I am entitled to, of all the things I think I "need." And that I would begin to hear the voice of God. That I would begin to hear the cry of the oppressed. That I would hear the hunger pains of the hungry, and that I would feel the loneliness of those who have no friends, family or loved ones to care for them. I pray that not only would I hear these things because I have taken off the "headphones," but that I would respond to them as God as called me to do.

This is what I have learned since I have started fasting. I have learned that although I strive to live simply I have failed. I am distracted by the "bigger and better," and consequently I have become deaf to the cries of the hurting and down trodden. Please God, take off my "headphones."

No comments:

Post a Comment