Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day #9--Like Honey

In Ezekiel 3, Ezekiel has a word from the Lord. The Lord actually tells him to eat a scroll! He says eat the scroll then go and speak the words to Israel. What is more fascinating about this passage is that Ezekiel says that not only did he eat it, but it tasted as honey on his lips! Of course then Ezekiel is charged with taking that word to Israel, and honestly to me it seems like eating the scroll was easier than taking the word to Israel. At any rate, I have been convicted of something lately as I have fasted and prayed about direction for our church, and guidance for my life in general.

The conviction is that I tend to read more books ABOUT the Bible than the Bible itself. I am not saying that reading outside books is a bad thing. Quite the contrary, we are to learn from those that are wiser in the faith. We are to learn from church historians, and the heroes of the faith that have gone before us. This is how we navigate through life without speaking heretically about our faith.

Still I believe the Holy Spirit can guide the reading of Scripture and my hope is to read through it (Genesis through Revelation) and let the Holy Spirit teach and guide me. Again, not saying I won't read outside sources, my hope is simply that I would love reading Scripture more than I love reading ABOUT Scripture.

As I read my prayer will be that the Lord opens my mind and heart to the Scriptures.

I know I said that I would try to blog everyday, and to both readers who read my blog faithfully :), here is my traveling schedule over this next week just so you know that it might be very sporadic this week:

Today (Tuesday 11/10) Traveling to Shreveport, LA to attend a commissioning service
Thursday (11/12) Going to College Station for a concert, staying the night and returning Friday afternoon
Saturday (11/14) going to Temple, TX for playoff football game
Sunday (11/15) leaving for Houston, TX for BGCT Convention (won't be back until Tuesday, 11/17)

So as you can see we will be driving quite a bit. Keep us in your prayers!

I will try to update as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment